Monday, May 19, 2008

One Genre Too Many

I still haven't heard from my two readers/critics, at least not as far as the critique on The Forgotten World goes. My daughter is up here in MD for a while, having finished her Junior year at LSU. My other reader and I communicate regularly, but I refuse to ask either if she has or when she will read the ms. So, I have been working on a new mystery/suspense story. It's been a good 8 weeks since I even looked at TFW, so I might stop the current project and go back to that one. I think I have enough distance to work the next draft or polish the latest rev.

With that in mind, it leads to a problem. I'm 25k words into a mystery/suspense novel; I have a paranormal/mystery on the shelf; I have two 2nd draft fantasy tales awaiting critical review (critical as far as I'm concerned). I suspect any agent or editor would tell me to stick to one genre and gather a fan base/audience before venturing into another genre. The problem for me is that I love to write both of them and horror too.

Oh well. I guess I'll just keep writing what makes me feel good and when/if I ever get an agent, I'll worry about sticking to one genre then.

Shaun

No comments: