Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time to Write

Paul Lamb wished me luck on my quest. That made me think of something I need, even more than an agent: time. After working all day and commuting home, by the time I get there, I'm dead tired, and there is only between 4 - 5 hours left to the evening. Subtract from that a workout three times a week, dinner 5x a week (yes, I do eat on the weekends too, but this is just for weeknights), and talking to my daughter who is 1200 miles away at school, there is not much time left. So, what do you do?

  • I could cut time from talking with my daughter... NOT! No way! Never gonna happen! No chance! Okay, you get the point.
  • I could stop exercising... This is really not a good idea for anyone.
  • I could lose more sleep than I do already... Are you kidding?
  • I could write only on the weekends... Well, let's just say write ALSO on the weekends.
  • I could write at work... Well, I kind of like the roof over my head and the food on the table, so that's out.
  • I could do the Nike thing: Just do it!

And that's where I am: Just do it. Stephen King wrote everywhere and anywhere he could while he was writing Carrie (paraphrasing him from On Writing). Just do it! Write, write, write!

Now, all I have to do is listen to my own advice...

Shaun

No comments: